Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I ve thought about this dilemma for the last year, and part of that thinking led me to write about m


About Us Mission and Programs Staff and Advisory Board News and Newsletters Photo Gallery Training MWBC Workshops & Seminars On-Line Training Power Conference Community Events Resources Starting initiative Your Business Writing Your Business Plan Growing Your Business initiative Business Counseling Human Resources Childcare Business Development Program initiative Recommended Reading Additional Resources StartRight! Get Involved Job Postings Donate to MWBC Rockville initiative Rewards Share your Expertise Sponsor an Event News/Blog
I m probably odd, but I hate admitting to being so-so at something. Talking about the extremes I m really good or I m really bad just comes easier. The stuff that falls in the middle, however, initiative is my Achilles heel as an entrepreneur.
Hanging out in the middle for too long hurts me professionally. Instead of focusing on what I m really good at, I let myself get sucked into the possibility that I can turn something so-so into an amazing skill. The reality? It s the equivalent of winning the skills initiative lottery. It could happen, but without a full commitment from me, it s a costly initiative game to play.
I ve thought about this dilemma for the last year, and part of that thinking led me to write about my business refresh . I m a few months away from my eight-year business anniversary. It s the longest I ve ever worked at the same job. Not surprisingly, I ve managed to collect a lot of so-so skills over those years.
As I reviewed the things I liked least about my business, the majority of them involved my so-so skills. Yes, I could do certain tasks to a point. But it wasn t making me happy because my performance failed to match my high expectations. Plus, my dabbling cut into the time I could be spending on the things I already do really well.
It reminds initiative me a bit of people who insist on reading a book to the end even though they don t love it. I used to be this way until I remembered that there are many amazing books I have yet to read. A so-so book gets in the way of an amazing book. The same holds true in business.
We need to sort through the so-so stuff and identify what we d like to become great at and kick the rest of the stuff to the curb. Again, because of time and talent, the keep pile won t be huge. But by getting rid of the rest, we create room mentally, emotionally, and even physically to turn the so-so into the incredible.
In fairness, I ll start the ball rolling. I will no longer provide tech support to my clients, but I will direct them to amazing people who love providing that service. That will give me room to work on some much-delayed writing projects that excite me.
The Maryland Women's Business Center helps people in our community start and grow women-owned businesses positioned for long-term growth. Montgomery County : 51 Monroe Street, PE-20, Rockville, MD, 20850 301-315-8096 Prince George's County : Bowie Business Innovation Center, Bowie State University Center for Business, 14000 Jericho Park Rd, Bowie, MD 301-383-1550 x104 info@marylandwbc.org Keep In Touch


No comments:

Post a Comment