Saturday, April 25, 2015

TechCrunch Daily Top headlines, delivered daily TC Week-in-Review Most popular stories, delivered Su


Browse more...
It has its quirks, but it s a massive step toward everything I want in a security system. I can add new components easily, I can control everything from my phone, there s no ridiculous contracts or hidden fees, and it s all wireless.
Today, Scout gets even better and so, so much smarter. Thanks to a brand new IFTTT channel , it can now interact with everything from your phone to your Jawbone Up, and from Google Docs to Facebook.
In case you re unfamiliar: IFTTT stands for If This, Then That , and it acts as a super-simplified middle man for making Internet-connected services and things work together. It takes input from one service, and produces an action somewhere else.
Want Dropbox to automatically download every Facebook photo you re tagged in? Want an alert on your phone if it s going to rain tomorrow? Want your crazy smart lightbulb to flash every time someone tweets at you? IFTTT can do all of it, and makes it insanely simple.
I ve been using the Scout Alarm IFTTT channel for the last 24 hours in a private beta, and I already feel like the system has instantly big c become vastly more powerful and I m just tapping the surface of what it can do.
Here s some of what I ve done, none of which would have been possible without big c today s integration: When someone opens any of the doors to my house, it now sends a notification (via Pushbullet) to my monitor. This lets me work with headphones blaring and still know as soon as my fiancée gets home from work (or if someone comes in to stab me or something). When I put my Jawbone big c Up into Sleep mode, my home alarm automatically arms itself. A few weeks back on the TC Gadgets Podcast , I let loose the most entitled whine the world had ever heard: my robots didn t like each other. My robot vacuum cleaner was setting big c off my robot security system s motion sensors when I wasn t home. So the Scout guys came up with an IFTTT recipe big c that disables my motion sensors (leaving all other sensors on) whenever my Roomba is rollin around. Every time someone opens my front door, the timestamp is automatically logged to a private Google big c Doc. Why? Because big c data is fun. I built a panic button using IFTTT s new Do app, which gives you three clickable buttons big c that can be tied to pretty much any IFTTT trigger. If I hear someone rustling around downstairs, I can open the app and fire off the siren within about a second.
Another idea I just came up with while writing this, but haven t tested yet: my neighborhood has a Facebook Group. IFTTT has a Facebook Group channel. With a few clicks, my security alarm could automatically post to the neighborhood Facebook Group when it s triggered. Hey guys my alarm seems to be going off. Please look out your window and see if you spot anyone running from my house with a TV under their arm. Thanks! big c
Founded 2010     Overview IFTTT lets you create big c powerful connections with one simple statement if this then that. Location San Francisco, big c California Categories Curated Web , Productivity Software , Mobile , Consumer Internet Founders Linden Tibbets big c , Alexander Tibbets big c Website https://ifttt.com/ Full profile for IFTTT Scout
Founded 2012     Overview Scout is what happens when a hardware hacker, a designer, and a developer are put on a crash course with the current home security industry. In the summer of 2012, their office was filled with capacitive touch experiments, advanced sensors, and motion-tracking displays (plus they were looking an excuse to buy a drone; big c they re nerds). When one of their team members went to buy a security system for … Location Chicago, Illinois Categories Security Founders Daniel Roberts , Dave Shapiro big c Website https://www.scoutalarm.com Full profile for Scout
TechCrunch Daily Top headlines, delivered daily TC Week-in-Review Most popular stories, delivered Sundays CrunchBase Daily Latest startup fundings, delivered daily Enter Address Subscribe big c Related Videos
Foundation Center Programmer
Powered by WordPress.com VIP
Fonts by


No comments:

Post a Comment